SIMBAD references

2008ApJS..179..249D - Astrophys. J., Suppl. Ser., 179, 249-282 (2008/November-0)

Identifying the low-luminosity population of embedded protostars in the c2d observations of clouds and cores.


Abstract (from CDS):

We present the results of a search for all embedded protostars with internal luminosities ≤1.0 L in the full sample of nearby, low-mass star-forming regions surveyed by the Spitzer Space Telescope Legacy Project ``From Molecular Cores to Planet Forming Disks'' (c2d). The internal luminosity of a source, Lint, is the luminosity of the central source and excludes luminosity arising from external heating. On average, the Spitzer c2d data are sensitive to embedded protostars with Lint≥4x10–3(d/140 pc)2 L, a factor of 25 better than the sensitivity of the Infrared Astronomical Satellite (IRAS) to such objects. We present a set of selection criteria used to identify candidates from the Spitzer data and examine complementary data to decide whether each candidate is truly an embedded protostar. We find a tight correlation between the 70 µm flux and internal luminosity of a protostar, an empirical result based on both observations and detailed two-dimensional radiative transfer models of protostars. We identify 50 embedded protostars with Lint≤1.0 L; 15 have Lint≤0.1 L. The intrinsic distribution of source luminosities increases to lower luminosities. While we find sources down to the above sensitivity limit, indicating that the distribution may extend to luminosities lower than probed by these observations, we are able to rule out a continued rise in the distribution below Lint=0.1 L. Between 75% and 85% of cores classified as starless prior to being observed by Spitzer remain starless to our luminosity sensitivity; the remaining 15%-25% harbor low-luminosity, embedded protostars. We compile complete spectral energy distributions for all 50 objects and calculate standard evolutionary signatures (Lbol, Tbol, and Lbol/Lsmm) and argue that these objects are inconsistent with the simplest picture of star formation, wherein mass accretes from the core onto the protostar at a constant rate.

Abstract Copyright:

Journal keyword(s): Stars: Formation - Stars: Low-Mass, Brown Dwarfs

VizieR on-line data: <Available at CDS (J/ApJS/179/249): table3.dat table4.dat table5.dat table6.dat table7.dat table8.dat table10.dat table11.dat refs.dat>

Nomenclature: Tables 2-8: [DCE2008] NNN (Nos 1-218).

Simbad objects: 227

goto Full paper

goto View the references in ADS

To bookmark this query, right click on this link: simbad:2008ApJS..179..249D and select 'bookmark this link' or equivalent in the popup menu


© Université de Strasbourg/CNRS

    • Contact